Our expanded polystyrene (EPS) Geofoam is a lightweight cellular plastic foam used in block or board from for a wide range of applications. Some features and benefits of Geofoam are:
- Low Density/High Strength - The density of Geofoam ranges from 1% to 2% of the density of soil and rock, making it superior, lightweight fill material that significantly reduces the stress on underlying sub-grades. The lighter load reduces settlements and increases stability against bearing and slope failures.
- Thermal Insulation - Geofoam is 98%-99% air by volume, making it a highly efficient thermal insulator.
- Design flexibility - Typically used in a block form that can be cut into various shapes and sizes as needed.
- Variable Densities - Geofoam can also be produced in a range of densities to meet varying needs. Higher densities, for example provide higher R-values for greater insulation properties and lower deformation.
- Durable - High compressive strength makes Geofoam durable and resistant to damage and shifting over time.
- Low moisture absorption - Moisture absorption rate increases as density increases, but are minimal.
- Low interface friction - In direct shear tests the interface friction between sand and Geofoam comparable to the internal friction of sand alone is low.
- No leachates - Will not contaminate the surrounding environment.
- Inert - Experiences no physical breakdown during prolonged burial.
Geofoam is third party certified by UL and stands to ASTM specifications to assure product compliance with ASTM standard C 578.Find out if Geofoam will meet your needs. Contact us!
View Our Case Studies